A Bowl Full of Cherries

My neighbor has the biggest, most beautiful cherry tree in the whole neighborhood.  Every year when the cherries are ripe I stare at them longingly, wishing the tree were mine.  Every year the neighbors come out and the pick their glorious cherries and I am left having to pay an arm and a leg for a tiny bag at the farmers market.
This year was different.  Our neighbors had moved but the house had not sold, so Porter called and asked them if we could pick the cherries........and they said YES!!!  I was so excited.  Finally I would taste the sweet cherry flesh that I had yearned for.  So, Sunday morning, Porter went out and picked a huge bowl of cherries.  He brought them in, washed them off and we began feasting.  They were so good we just popped them in our mouth.  We ate at least 30-40 yesterday each.   Today we both took a bag to work thinking they would be a delicious snack.
At lunch I opened up the bag, but I noticed something on the bottom.  There was a little white worm looking at me.  I picked out that cherry and threw it away.  I grabbed another, but then a thought hit me, what if????  So I split the cherry in half and to my horror there was a little white worm in the middle of the cherry.  Very distraught I began splitting all the cherries in my bag, and you guessed it, every single one had at least one worm, some had two!  I grabbed my phone and dialed Porter.  I had him go to his bag and split them all and sure enough, worms everywhere!  Gross, gross, gross, gross!!!!!!  This means that yesterday I ingested at least 30-40 worms!!!!  Ignorance is bliss, but knowing is awful.  I have had a stomach ache all today just imagining all the little guys wriggling around in there.  Porter told me it's the price we pay for organic food.  I just don't know, and now I have a huge bowl of cherries that I feel awful throwing away because they are practically perfect minus their tiny friends.  Happy Monday ya'll!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

St. George Spring Break

Italian Babymoon 2016: Venice

Italian Babymoon 2016: Florence