Apple Cider Vinegar: What the Sick Kids Drink.

When you get sick do have silly little rituals you do to ward off the yuckies?  Some of those old wives tales that you feel really make a difference in how fast you recover?  I feel like we all have some little thing we do when we become ill.  As a performer and a vocal teacher I feel like I never really have time to be sick.  My body is my tool and there is pretty much a no tolerance act in effect towards sickness.  This has led me to try all kinds of crazy things.

 However, I wasn't always this gung-ho to be healthy. When I was a kid I would lay in bed and try to compel myself to get sick so that I could lay in bed and watch cartoons and daytime television instead of sitting through another 6 hour school day which, when you are 8, seems like an eternity.  My mom would always take my temperature and if I didn't clear the magic 100 degree mark I was sent to school.  Sometimes I would sneak a hot pad from my dad's stash (he is a chiropractor) and put it on my head in hopes of fooling the thermometer.  That tactic never worked so I changed strategies.  I would wait till the parents left the room, then I would run to the bathroom, turn on the hot water and wait till it reach 107, then run back to bed.  Sadly, my mom never bought the super high temperature gag.  She said I would be dead if the thermometer was correct.  Geez, not hot enough to be sick, or  too hot I should be dead.  There was just no pleasing this lady when it came to fake sickness!  It seemed like I never got to stay home sick.

Now as an adult, I dread the little tickle in the back of my throat.  That little, "I'm Ba-ack!" the grubbies use to let me know it's that time of year, the sick time.  So this past weekend I came down with the crud that it seems everyone has: nasty cold, achy sinuses, runny nose, sneeze your brains out sick, TMI?  My nose is getting raw from all the tissues I've been using.  So I have resorted to all sorts of home remedies: Grape Juice, air bourne, vitamins, garlic, tea, lemon juice with cayenne pepper, steam treatments, the wet sock treatment (basically you get your feet really hot in the bathtub, then put super cold wet socks on and wear them till they are dry, it's a type of hydro therapy I hear....), spicy foods, garlic, airing out the house, honey, I felt I had tried them all.  Then I came upon this little gem: Apple Cider Vinegar.  There are all sorts of recipes for how to use this stuff.  It seems to be a little miracle worker.  So I decided I must have some.  Porter was very sweet and ran to the store for me.  He came back with a big bottle.  I read that you could just shoot a couple tablespoons of the stuff and that seemed so much easier than the other recipes, so that's what I did.  Shooting ACV is not for the faint hearted.  Holy Cow!  That stuff is crazy, it burns, fizzes, makes you shake up and down and then it's gone: such a weird feeling.  But I am feeling better quicker than normal.  I hope I don't jinx myself by writing this (note to self: find wood to knock on).  When I take this elixir of health I hold my breath and usually will use either a bunny cracker or grape juice as a chaser.  I recorded this event for science! This was how my weekend went down, how bout yours?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

St. George Spring Break

Italian Babymoon 2016: Venice

Italian Babymoon 2016: Florence